Overall research shows multiple benefits when adding apples to your diet. Here are some fun ways to enjoy them:
Some fun ways to enjoy apples:
- Cut one apple into thin slices and spread with nut or seed butter.
- Enjoy a sweet/salty, crunchy/creamy combo by pairing apple slices with thin slices of cheddar cheese.
- Apple sandwich: Remove the center and seeds of an apple with a corer and slice the apple into rounds about a ½-inch thick. Spread one apple slice with nut or seed butter and sprinkle with granola or trail mix. Then place another apple slice on top.
- Oven-baked apple chips: Core apple and slice very thinly or with a mandoline. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or parchment paper. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 225 degrees F for one hour (higher temperatures can burn the apples). Flip apple slices and bake for up to 1 hour more or until apple chips feel dry. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Waldorf salad: Chop 2 large apples into small chunks and add to large bowl with ½ cup walnuts, 1 sliced celery rib, and ¼ cup raisins. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Prepare the dressing by combining ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise, teaspoon of lemon zest, and pinch of pepper. Fold dressing into apple mixture and stir well.
- Apple, fennel, and endive salad: Thinly slice 2 large apples, 1 bulb of fennel, and 3 small endives. Squeeze over half of a lemon and add white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped pecans for an additional crunch.